I came across this interesting list of 26 user experience axioms. Thought I’d share.
The UX Axioms
1. It’s all about people, it’s not about the object.
2. Focus on the experience, not on the function.
3. Stories are how we understand and shape the world.
4. Pay attention to patterns.
5. Problem finding before problem solving.
6. Expose and challenge assumptions.
7. Explore the big picture and the details at once.
8. Know your materiality: people, technology, business, aesthetics…
9. Open your eyes; don’t trust what people say.
10. Create models not just narratives; use frameworks
11. Reframe constraints as a forcing function.
12. Tame Complexity; don’t simplify
13. Make non-arbitrary design decisions
14. Set and manage expectations
15. Everything is designed and everything is a design challenge
16. Break silos; your role is bigger than you think
17. Say ‘yes and’; don’t always assume ‘either or’
18. It’s about the journey, life-cycle, and transition; not just key moments
19. Externalize your work for yourself and others
20. Create and close feedback loops
21. Make stuff and then kill it
22. Context, context, context
23. Focus on a single thing and then do it really well
24. Understand and play with emotion
25. Engender trust
26. Collaborate with others